Friday, February 4, 2011

What is an Autism World

That is a good question. An autism world is when you get so caught up in your child with austism thinking about doctor appointments, school, where are they, counseling appointments - you get the picture - that your world revolves around autism.

You sometimes get so caught up in it that you don't think about taking care of yourself, or your relationship with your husband and the other members of your family.

It can become exhausting and finding the balance is the key. This key to balance I have found is prayer with my Heavenly Father, asking for help and guidance. Even then I will find myself off balance at times - not because He doesn't answer prayers, or doesn't guide, but because these trials are for me and I'm to learn from them.

I have a son who has Asperger's and severe learning disabilities. Those in themselves are enough but then you add ODD, anxiety, and possibly bi-polar and the mix is sometimes overwhelming.

When there is a child with a disability in your family you find yourself creating a new "normal."

We met with a lot of other families affected by autism and found it nice to know that my "abnormal" every day life was normal! Do you know how good that is to know this! Wow what relief!

Let me give you an example of my normal:

My son eats pizza every day of the week. Literally! So much so that the pizza store recognizes our voices on the phone! That proably isn't normal for others but for us that is totally normal!

Well on to Autism World. I'll try to share what it is like an share my abnormal - normal!

I don't know how many times I will post, but please feel free to comment whether you are asking a question, offering your advice or just need somewhere to vent where you know we will understand and not judge.

So until my next post friends ......

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment