Thursday, February 10, 2011

Taking medications

I give my son a pill and he swallows it. Easy isn't? No it isn't.

My son never takes one pill he takes 6 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 6 or 7 in the evening before bed.

He swallows all his pills at one time - which just always amazes me. But what is even more amazing is that he can hold the pills under his tongue, drink water and never swallow the pills.

I learned this the hard way.

One evening I gave him his pills while his back was towards me. I gave him his pill in his little cup and he put them in his mouth. Then I handed him a cup of water and he drank it. All seemed good.

He can't sleep without taking one of these medications. Literally, he would go and go and go - worse than the EverReady Bunny (don't know if I got the spelling correct or not.)

The medicine that helps him to sleep also tells his stomach that he is starving. Thirty minutes went by, one hour went by and still he wasn't hungry nor did he look sleepy.

After a couple of hours it hit me. He didn't swallow the pills! How in the world do he put them in his mouth, drink water and then spit them out! I may never know how he didn't this.

My new normal?

He must face me when I hand him his pills, stay facing me when he swallows the pills, and then he has to lift his tongue so I can look in his mouth and under his tongue.

From my world to your world....

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment