Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Milestones

Miletsones come in many different shapes and forms and are so very exciting when they occur and my son had one Monday evening.

This milestone occurred at his horseback riding lesson.

In order for it to make more sense let me give you some back ground information.

Routine is very important for an autistic child. No changes and no surprises. If there is a change or a surprise they will want to get out of the situation as quickly as possible.

When my son first started his riding lessons it was the trainer, an assistant and my son. Later another assistant was added. This addition took about 7 months months before the other assistant came along. When she first came my son made sure the lesson was cut short.

With these things in mind let me tell you what happened Monday.

We arrived and noticed there was an extra car there. Yes, he notices small changes like that.

As we walked through the barn there was young girl getting ready to have a lesson and her father was there.

The trainer told my son he would be working with the assistants. He didn't back away or turn around and leave. Rather he went to his horse, mounted, and followed the assistants out into the field.

Even when the lesson was over he stayed on his horse and walked him around some.

One assistant had brought 2 dogs that she had rescued and my son is an animal lover. He volunteered to help her get the dogs out of the stall. I took his service dog out to the car.

He helped her with the dogs. Then the other student came over to look. My son did turn around and walked away. The young girl said something to him. Even though is back was to her she answered as he walked away.

Yes, these were two major milestones. He didn't turn around and and leave when he noticed two new people there and he actually answered the young girl.

The are simple tasks and go without saying for us but for someone with autism it is difficult. A year working with the horse helped get to this miletsone.

Something so simple is a great leap and I'm so thankful for that and grateful that I was there to see it with my own eyes.

From my world to yours.....

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I don't know much about Autism but have a special needs child. The smallest little steps they take are equivalent to our giant leaps. It's so nice to see them happen.

    You must have been so happy!!

    ReplyDelete