Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wording

Wording is so important whether it is a question, comment, request or a warning.

Here is an example (and I hope I haven't already given you this one):

"Don't use that cough as an excuse to leave class early."

Right after I said it I knew I had made a big mistake.

I could see his brain working: okay I can't use the cough so I must be able to use something else as a reason to leave class early.

In essence I just gave him permission to use something else - stomach ache, headache, whatever, as an excuse to leave class early.

And of course he used it.

I have some other things that I want to share and of course I thought I could remember and could post it later - but no not me - I have forgotten. From now on I've got to post as I think of it!

From my world to yours.......

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment