Monday, March 14, 2011

How do I say.....

Everything was pretty good yesterday until I game him the medications at night that help him sleep.

I gave him his pills and I thought I had food for him to eat - steak, eggs, candy bar, ravioli and some ther things. But I guess not.

He said he would like the steak. Sounds good so I went to cut it up and reheat it but then he said he wanted steak sauce and not ketchup. We didn't have any sauce just ketchup. That did not go over well.

He got up and started going through the refrigerator and not in a very nice manner.

Let me preface this here for a minute. Remember his pills make him extremely hungry so much so he just has to eat. There is no way around it. Now combine this with his sensory intergration issues and it limits what he will eat.

I was very upset to say the least as the following happened:

He couldn't find any sauce and so he pulled out the ketchup and then he slammed it down on the counter. Did you know that plastic will shatter? It does and the ketchup went all over the kitchen, the floor, and all over me. I was furious....

So I walked away and tried to clean myself off and went back into the kitchen. He had then pulled out a can of spaghettios and was pouring them out when he say a meat ball.

I was so quiet at that point and told him he had to clean everything up.

I just just got more upset so once I just went to bed and bascially locked myself in my bathroom and cried and chilled out. I really felt like a failure.

How do you get through to someone who is in that type of meltdown? Yes, he calmed down and I think he came into my bedroom to apologize but I was in my bathroom. I think he came in twice but I was in the bathroom both times.

Should I have come out and let him apologze to me? Did I make a mistake in not doing that?

I really don't know. All I know is to keep praying and asking Heavenly Father for guidance.

I am beginning to be 2 and 2 together though. If he doesn't eat until he is satisfied at bedtime then he wakes up during the night and he wakes up early in the morning because he is hungry.

Waking up early on spring break really is not what I wanted to do. He will be going to bed early tonight with a full stomach so that he will sleep the entire night.

I did have him sweep and mop the floor this morning and clean up the counter tops.

I don't know if there is a new normal here or not. I don't even know if I handled the situation correctly or not. I do know that I wish I had my sweet young man 24/7 and to that end I will be working towards.

From my world to yours....

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Mary, sending you cyber hugs. I can just feel your tension just reading this. I don't want to make this about me but I know a little how you feel. Having a child with special needs is a hard life at times and no one understands unless they have one. So, that is why I say I understand. I think as parents we feel we should have all the answers and get frustrated when we can't handle the problem. You're not a failure, all you can do is try to handle it the best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally figuring out the comments and how to read them and respond to them.


    Thank you Michelle. I agree, we think we should know what to do all the time. It is nice to have someone who understands and lets me know that I am not a failure!

    ReplyDelete