Saturday, September 24, 2011

Major meltdown at school yesterday.

He tried so hard to make it all the way through the week. 

His therapist and I agreed to give him a reward that he really wants.  He goes to school all week and then on Monday dad is picking him up early and will take him to get his driver's test.

It started Thursday night when he did not sleep at all.  He was up and down all night.  I was emailing his principal at 4 a.m. to give him a heads up that it was going to be a bad day.

He was hurting so I took him some tylenol.  That helped and he went back to class.

Then when it was time for me to go back up to the school to sit with his service dog while he went to working, I receive an email from the principal that he needed to talk with me.

I got there and son was already in the back office.  So the principal and I went to another office.  Son had a major meltdown.  He first started out angry (one friend that he has in a class that will actually talk to him was moved, because they talked) then he ended up in a ball on the floor in tears just crying.  His service dog walked over to him and sat next to him and looked at him until son looked up and then started petting his dog and calming down.

Son calmed down but remained curled up on the floor with his dog.

We discussed several things.

Go ahead and take him out of the class because the teacher will not win him back over.

Shorten his school week.  Have to be careful there - that will change his graduation date - which would mean he would graduate around the age of 20.  I would want him to "graduate" with his class just to go through the motions and then continue on with HS.  Hopefully that made sense.

He will go to his history class this semester instead of next semester to replace the computer class that we will be take him out of the that class.

So of course we have to have another meeting.

But back to Friday.  We sat and talked with son and gave him the option of him leaving school for the day (which the principal and I decided was probably best), go with me to the dr.'s office to pick up some things, or stay at school.  He chose to go with me.

While we were at the dr.'s office son wanted to go down to the concourse to find a vending machine.  No way.  I could just see call the security office sending people out looking for a boy and his dog that were lost in the huge hospital complex.

He wasn't happy with that - but once we got in the car the Spirit whispered - ask him if he wants to go eat at On the Border Mexican restaurant.  Boy did his face light up.

We had a relaxed time eating chips and dip and beans and rice.

We are not leaving him alone at all this weekend.  We'll have limitations but we want him to have a nice relaxed weekend.

In fact he is still asleep.  So far he has been asleep for 11 hours.  I'd love for him to be able to sleep a couple of more hours.

From my world to your world.........


No comments:

Post a Comment